Our goal is to aid mining into sustainability. We work with industry, government & communities to create the capability for the minerals industry to meet this goal.
SMI approaches sustainability in mining through a process of learning, engagement and application of effort.
The sustainability journey has four stages of maturity:
- Stage 1: Only revenue maximising approach–SMI addresses the impacts associated with only revenue maximising approach of mining activities of the past.
- Stage 2: Efficient -Enhancing performance through individual activities. SMI develops, tests and deploys leading edge technology and processes to meet efficiency goals
- Stage 3: Effective - Improve benefits and performance through the connectivity in all operations. SMI integrates disciplines with operating environments to give a holistic approach to environments, communities and industry.
- Stage 4 Sustainable - Embedding sustainability in all decision making and business practices to consider the economic and environmental needs of current generations without compromising the needs of future generations.
Working at an “Efficient” level will not be sufficient for industry to meet the metal and energy demands of future global development,
SMI will advance in strategic research to reach “Effective” and “Sustainability” to ensure knowledge is available for industry when the demand arises.
SMI creates and provides knowledge to assist industry to:
- understand and manage strategic and operational challenges;
- forecast and meet future industry skills needs;
- comprehend and respond to societal expectations of sustainable operations and companies; and
- make available for society, evidence of opportunities that can arise from leading practice mineral extraction.
The knowledge creation will be delivered through the SMI NextWorkforce™ initiative.. a suite of activities designed to ensure SMI graduates will have the skills and knowledge to drive change across the resources industry.
It also effectively parallels the NextMine™ initiative.
Through NextMine™, SMI will unify its diverse research disciplines to bring a collaborative approach to addressing the complex and multi-faceted challenges facing the resources industry