BSc (Hons)(Monash), PhD (Cambridge)
Grad Dip Env Stud (Macquarie), Grad Dip Out Ed (QUT), Grad Dip Bus Admin (QUT)
ARACI, CChem, MAusIMM, MCI, MSIA, MEIA
David Cliff was appointed Professor of Occupational Health and Safety in Mining and Director of MISHC in 2011. His primary role is providing education, applied research and consulting in health and safety in the mining and minerals processing industry. He has been at MISHC since 2001.
Previously David was the Safety and Health Adviser to the Queensland Mining Council, and prior to that Manager of Mining Research at the Safety In Mines Testing and Research Station. In these capacities he has provided expert assistance in the areas of health and safety to the mining industry for over twenty three years. He has particular expertise in emergency preparedness, gas analysis, spontaneous combustion, fires and explosions, including providing expert testimony to the Moura No.2 Warden’s inquiry, Hazelwood Mine Fire Inquiry, and the Pike River Royal Commission. In recent times he has also devoted a lot of energy to fitness for duty issues particularly fatigue management. He has been a member of the organising committee for the level one emergency exercises in Queensland underground coal mines since their inception in 1998. He has also attended or provided assistance in over 30 incidents at mines.
David has also extensive experience in providing training and education in OHS in mining to in many countries.
- Cliff, David (2014) Provision of expert advice relating to Hazelwood Coal Mine Fire February and March 2014 Melbourne, VIC, Australia: Hazelwood Mine Fire Inquiry
- Kirsch, P. A., Harris, J., Sprott, D. and Cliff, D. (2014) Industry-scale knowledge management: RISKGATE and Australian coal operations. CIM Journal, 5 2: 79-86.
- Cliff, D. (2014). Optimising emergency escape in Australian underground coal mines. In: Optimising emergency escape in Australian underground coal mines, Manly NSW, Australia, (). 27 - 28 March.
- Kirsch, Philipp, Harris, Jill, Sprott, Darren and Cliff, David (2014). RISKGATE and Australian coal operations. In: Naj Aziz, Bob Kininmonth, Jan Nemcik, Dennis Black, John Hoelle and Ismet Cunbulat, Proceedings of the 2014 Coal Operators' Conference. Coal 2014: Australian Coal Operators' Conference 2014, Wollongong, NSW, Australia, (389-398). 12-14 February, 2014.
- Cliff, D. (2013). Pike River Coal mine disaster: what actually happened?. In: ICSMRI 2013: 35th International Conference of Safety in Mines Research Institutes, London, UK, (). 15-17 October, 2013.
- Horberry, Tim, Xiao, Tania, Fuller, Ruth and Cliff, David (2013) The role of human factors and ergonomics in mining emergency management: three case studies. International Journal of Human Factors and Ergonomics, 2 2/3: 116-130. doi:10.1504/IJHFE.2013.057610